Unlocking A New Plane of eCommerce Personalization Through Sizing
Personalization is the fabled golden goose those in the eCommerce space have been chasing for years on end. And there's a good reason for this. eCommerce can never hope to steal the crown from brick-and-mortar without the ability for brands to tailor the shopping experience on an individual basis. Want proof? Just ask Marks and Spencer, who recently acquired the UK-based personalization tool, Thread, claiming the acquisition could drive an additional $100 million on an annual basis.
Of course, not every eCommerce apparel brand is large enough to simply acquire a personalization tool. In addition, successfully navigating the personalization landscape is no easy task. In this article, we'll detail the ways your brand can unlock a higher plane of personalization in the increasingly demanding world of eCommerce.
Why Personalization Will be of Paramount Importance in 2023
It's no secret that customer acquisition costs have risen in 2022 due to increasingly dense competition, all fighting for the same shoppers' attention. What's more, shopper demand is a far cry from what it was during the height of the pandemic, with eCommerce falling from 44.7% growth in 2020 to 9.7% in 2021. That's right, a 35% decrease in a single year. To save marketing costs while continuing to drive growth and conversions, leading apparel brands are planning to lean heavily into retention in 2023 by curating experiences that keep their existing shoppers coming back again and again. Naturally, personalization plays a crucial role in achieving this goal.
Why Most Brands Struggle With eCommerce Personalization
Unlike brands that operate exclusively in physical stores, eCommerce brands have struggled with personalization since the dawn of online shopping. But why?
- The personalization paradox - The modern shopper craves a personalized, on-site experience but is often wary about divulging the information needed to make these experiences happen. This is primarily due to the sheer number of brands fighting for their attention; textbook marketing fatigue. As such, shoppers often need to be incentivized before relinquishing even the most basic information.
- Issues with scaling - With over 300 million active users on Amazon alone, curating a personalized eCommerce experience is far more complicated than brick-and-mortar. This is where data collection and automation become absolutely vital, as no such experience could ever exist at scale without these critical insights.
- Lack of actionable data - While gathering demographic information via incentivized surveys and loyalty programs is beneficial, how much does this info really tell you about your shoppers? Critical insights regarding their preferences, body types, sources, and, ultimately, what sets them apart from other shoppers are what unlock true personalization in the world of eCommerce.
While the aforementioned issues may seem daunting, eCommerce personalization remains a very achievable task for apparel brands, especially with sizeless commerce. Let's take a look into how this concept has helped market-leading brands like Vineyard Vines, BYLT Basics, and Johnnie-O reach levels of personalization previously thought to be unattainable.
Achieving Personalization at Scale With Sizeless Commerce
As many of us in the apparel eCommerce space know, online shoppers struggle with sizing and fit; a lot. According to Shopify, over 50% of all online apparel returns are linked to sizing complications, and the sizing process remains one of the most-notable friction points within the shopper's journey.
You may be asking yourself, "what does sizing have to do with personalization?" With sizeless commerce by WAIR, your brand not only has the ability to deliver personalized and accurate size recommendations at scale, but our solution also seamlessly collects actionable data from the shoppers using our sizing tool, such as:
- Body dimensions of buyers and non-buyers
- Marketing campaign attribution
- Demographic information such as geolocation
- Products bought, kept, returned, and reviewed
From a personalization perspective, this is a veritable treasure trove of insights. For example, knowing the body dimensions of your shoppers opens up opportunities to refine your product strategy, recommend shoppers relevant products that pertain to their body shape, identify which channels attract which body types, the list goes on and on.
As if access to these insights wasn't good enough, the collection method is also entirely seamless, requiring no effort or divulging of sensitive data from your shoppers. It's a win-win for all involved; your shoppers receive the seamless and personalized experience they've been craving, and your brand receives the insights needed to make these experiences possible while driving conversions and AOV in the process!
Retention via Personalization Will Define Success in 2023
eCommerce personalization is a challenging endeavor, but it is a prerogative that will define 2023 for apparel brands and retailers. Those who pull out the stops and double down on retention in Q1 will be the ones that not only survive but thrive in this challenging economic climate. Learn how your brand can join the market-leading brands benefitting from sizeless commerce today!
Are you interested in learning more about WAIR? Schedule a demo here, and be sure to follow us on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Facebook for all your fashion content needs!